The History of Maidstone Independent Christian Spiritualist Church
The early history of the Church is, to say the least, a bit vague. We know that it started circa 1925 in a small room behind what was then The Central Cinema, now Boots the Chemist in King Street. It used a variety of venues, including a room over The Lamb Public House, until it moved to its present site in the 1950’s and held Services in a Nissen hut.
The Founder of the present Church was a Mrs Lillian Hammerton, who had the Church built. It became registered as a place of Worship in April 1960 with Mrs Hammerton as the first President. Unfortunately, Mrs Hammerton passed to Spirit in 1961. The membership then purchased the building from her estate and, as far as we can tell, elected a Mrs New and Mrs Wright to run the church.
Mr T A Farley became the next President, followed by Mr David Jackett in his first term as President (five years). Because he was a very busy working medium on the circuit, he decided to step down from this position and Miss A E Stone (BEM) became the President until 1989. Mr Jackett then started his second term as President. Mr Jackett passed to Spirit in October 2003. His wife, Mrs Doreen Jackett was elected to take up the Presidency until her retirement in 2011.
In November 2011, Mr David Robinson was elected to the role of President.
In 2012 the Church membership introduced a maximum period an individual can hold the position of President. The role of President is for a two (2) year period. If re-elected, an individual may only hold the position for a maximum of 2 terms (4 years). Following the completion of 2 terms, the individual must then stand down from the role of President for a two (2) year period.
In 2016 Mr Robinson completed two terms as President and at the March 2016 AGM, Mrs Elizabeth Field was elected the role of President.
The Minister of the Church is Mrs Rose Hedley (CSSI) who is the Registered Authorised Person to conduct Weddings and also undertakes Christening’s, Naming Ceremonies and Funerals.
Vice-President:Â Mrs Pat Slattery
Trustees: Mrs Rose Hedley: Mrs Patricia Lever: Mr David Robinson.
The Church is Independent and a Registered Charity in its own right.